Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm sorry

I've noticed lately that I substitute "excuse me" with "I'm sorry." I'm not sure when this started, but I do this quite a bit throughout the day. It's not even an appropriate saying for what I'm meaning. This is a habit I'm determined to break, there's no need for me to say "I'm sorry" when I'm reaching over someone to grab a straw.

I also noticed other women doing this. There’s no reason for us to be apologetic for trying to get somewhere or something. Is this something we’re taught? To apologize for no reason?

3 comments:

Maria said...

I think it is socialized in to us, and it is troublesome! Not everything is our fault. We are not secondary. And for crying out loud ladies, stop using "just" in front of words describing yourself!

Ooops...I got going there. ;-)

Jessie Case said...

I like to put both together apparently...(just thought about it since you brought it up) as in " Excuse me, sorry."

Andrea said...

That drives me crazy, the whole "I'm sorry" bit. I used to have an ex-b/f who did that and I would correct him every.single.time. Great post and observation.